|σὺ δὲ ὁ μάρτυς τοῦ θεοῦ μοῦ Μαρίνη,|
|λίτασων θεῶ ὑπὲρ ἐμοῦ σῆς δούλης,|
|ὅπως εὗρω ἄφεσιν τῶν ἐσφαλμάτων|
|εἰς αἰῶνας ἀεῖ τῶν αἰώνων. ἀμήν.|
|Type(s)|| Σὺ δὲ ὁ μάρτυς τοῦ Θεοῦ μοῦ Μαρίνη (4 verses)|
|Text source||B. Fonkič, F. Poljakov, 1993, Grečeskie rukopisi Moskovskoj Sinodal’noj Biblioteki. Paleografičeskie, kodikologičeskie I bibliografičeskie dopolnenijak katalogu Archimandrita Vladimira (Filantropova), Moscow: 43|
|Text status||Text completely known|
|Manuscript||MOSCOW - Gosudarstvennyj Istoričeskij Musej (GIM) - Sinod. gr. 125 (Vlad. 81) [14th c.]|
|Place in Manuscript||f. 120r|
|Contextual information||The epigram is embedded in a prose colophon, which mentions the donation of the manuscript, see Fonkič-Poljakov (1993: 43): 'Κἀγὼ Ἄννα πριγγίπισσα Ἀχαϊας ἀφιερῶ τὴν παροῦσαν βίβλον τῆ παρ' ἐμοῦ γενομένη μονῆ τῆς παρθένου μάρτυρος Χριστοῦ τοῦ θεοῦ Μαρίνης, ψυχικῆς μου ἕνεκα σωτηρίας, ἐν ἔτη ͵ςψπε΄, οὖσης μου ἐν τῷ κάστρῳ Κλερεμούντω.'
Fonkič-Poljakov identify the donor as Anna Komnene Angelina (c. 1176-1212). However, considering the date in the inscription (=1277) and the title (πριγκίπισσα Ἀχαΐας), which refers to the Principality of Achaea, it is more likely that the inscription mentions Anna Komnene Doukaina (d. 1286), the Princess-consort of Achaea and wife to William II Villehardouin. This suggestion is further supported by Gerstel-Kappas (2018: 191).
Gerstel-Kappas identify the following toponym (ἐν τῷ κάστρῳ Κλερεμούντω) as the Clarence Castle (gr. Κλαρέντσα / Κλαρίντζα / Γλαρέντζα in contemporary documents), one of the fortresses founded by William II. However, it is also possible to identify the name with the fortress of Chlemoutsi (gr. Χλουμούτσι / Χλεμούτσι, fr. Clermont), which has remained under Anna's control even after her husband's demise.
The monastery mentioned in the donation has been identified as the Zoodochos Pege church in Messenia, see Gerstel-Kappas (2018: 191): 'The church of Zoodochos Pege has traditionally been called Samarina, a name that elides the words Santa and Marina. Based on the new date of the narthex wall paintings, c. 1260, it seems that this may be the very church with which Anna was involved'.
|Number of verses||4|
The credits system has been implemented in 2019. Credits from before the new system was in use might be incomplete.
Last modified: 2019-11-27.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.